Key Point of President's Regular Press Conference
Key Point of President's Regular Press Conference
March 2021 Regular Press Conference : President Hayashi's Message
March 23, 2021
Chubu Electric Power Co.,Inc.
- I will be discussing the following matters today:
- Initiatives for realizing our Management Vision
- Zero Emissions Challenge 2050
Heading Toward The Year 2050
- In 2018, Chubu Electric Power Group formulated our Management Vision. We declared that we would concurrently achieve the goals of “fulfilling our unwavering mission” and “creating new value” within a period of roughly 10 years by the latter half of the 2020 decade. Then came the COVID-19 pandemic, which has prompted the proliferation of changes in people’s lifestyles such as new ways of living and working as well as accelerating digital transformation and decarbonization efforts, significantly transforming both the social and industrial structures.
- With Japan having declared that it will become a carbon neutral nation by 2050, the energy business in particular faces a significant turning point as the country proceeds to examine its next basic energy plan. Accordingly, we took into consideration these changes in social structure and long-term policies, then, using as our perspective the year 2050, we worked out what sort of value the Chubu Electric Power Group will be able to deliver to society and our customers.
- We envision that Japan in the year 2050 will be confronting the challenge of decarbonization and evolving into a safe and secure recycling-oriented society through advances in the social infrastructure.
- In other words, as we aim to decarbonize, that process will lead us to realize a safe and secure society and, at the same time, promote systems that are recycling-oriented as well as self-sufficient and decentralized.
- The Chubu region has a balanced industrial structure that may be capitalized on to promote an early transition to a recycling-oriented society as well as adopt self-sufficient and decentralized systems through the collaboration of industry, government and academia. What is more, we believe that this region has the capability to make the transition and be carbon-free.
- When we looked at the value that Chubu Electric Power Group is able to deliver to society and our customers as we move towards this vision of the year 2050, we believe we will be able to “construct an energy platform that is resilient and provides optimal energy services,” “build a data platform providing data services that enrich and make our lives more convenient,” and “contribute to realizing a society that is safe and secure and given to a more resilient lifestyle.”
- Our decarbonization efforts will aim to concurrently achieve not only “decarbonization,” but also “safety, reliability and efficiency” with energy infrastructure innovations in partnership with society and our customers.
Aiming to Realize our Management Vision
- I have four points here that I would like to elaborate on: our efforts at Hamaoka, provision of resilient services, provision of community support infrastructure services, and achievement of decarbonization in partnership with our customers.
- First, with regard to our efforts at Hamaoka, we believe that nuclear power, which does not emit CO2 when generated, has a very considerable role to play in realizing a carbon-free society.
- Based upon the firm resolution never to allow an accident such as the one at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station to happen again, we have placed top priority on ensuring safety and gaining the community’s understanding of our efforts as we proceed to utilize Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station.
- In the future as well, we will do our utmost to have Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station’s compliance with new regulatory requirements verified promptly, endeavor to further enhance training and maintain disaster prevention system readiness, and strive to meticulously explain to communities and society at large how Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station’s safety has been enhanced and how we are constantly working to reduce risks in both tangible and intangible ways so that we may further our aim of making Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station a facility that is even more trusted by the community and society.
- In moving toward the provision of resilient and optimal energy services, we will strive to construct a next-generation transmission and distribution network that supports both wide-area use of power sources and facilitates local production for local consumption even as increased adoption of renewable energies leads to a more complex electricity flow.
- As for our goal of providing new value generated through community support infrastructure, we will deliver services that leverage both data and energy to offer new value that supports communities.
- Lastly, in our decarbonization efforts proceeding in partnership with customers, energy supply initiatives are important, as I previously mentioned, but so are efficient energy use by the end-user customers as well as the active promotion of electrification in a variety of sectors for realizing the goal of a carbon-free society.
- In addition to promoting electrification at the final stage where it is used by customers, we believe that we are able to facilitate the reduction of the carbon footprint even of non-electrified sectors with new solutions designed for this purpose. More specifically, Chubu Electric Power Miraiz will lead our group in providing society and customers with services conducive to a carbon-free society with triad of “energy conservation,” “energy creation,” and “energy utilization,” and thereby contribute to realizing a carbon-free society together with everyone.
Zero Emissions Challenge 2050
- Our “Zero Emissions Challenge 2050” is the consolidation of these decarbonization initiatives, and we have set goals to be achieved and a roadmap to get there.
- First, the targets that we set to be met by 2030 are the reduction of CO2 emissions sourced from electricity we sell to our customers by at least 50% compared to 2013 levels and the 100% electrification of our company-owned vehicles with the exception of special vehicles for emergency and construction use.
- Moreover, we will contribute to realizing a carbon-free society through our challenge to achieve net-zero CO2 emissions across all our business operations by the year 2050.
- Reaching these targets will bolster us in our aim to concurrently achieve not only “decarbonization,” but also “safety, reliability and efficiency” with energy infrastructure innovations in partnership with society and our customers.
- Next, as we travel our roadmap toward our goal of reducing CO2 emissions, we will first mobilize all our resources, employing every means possible to first achieving the 2030 goals in the areas of “initiatives pursued with our customers,” “transmission and distribution,” and “power generation” in addition to those previously stated. Also, in parallel with these commitments, we will fully utilize innovative technologies as we increase installed storage battery capacity for power systems, utilize hydrogen technology, and implement other efforts.
- We see the Chubu region in particular as having significantly high potential for energy electrification and greater energy efficiency based on the fact that is has a balanced industrial structure and produces innovations arising out of manufacturing, and we believe the Chubu region is fully capable of becoming recycling-oriented and carbon-free in a way that only this region can be.
- The Chubu Electric Power Group will continue to provide community support infrastructure delivering packages of services that enrich and make our lives more convenient together with environmentally-friendly, safe, inexpensive, and stable energy, thereby contributing to realizing a society that is safe and secure as well as given to a more resilient lifestyle.
- The Chubu Electric Power Group aims to maintain these commitments and gain the trust of all stakeholders.