Key Point of President's Regular Press Conference
Regular Press Conference for December 2010
December 21, 2010
Chubu Electric Power Co.,Inc.
- We wish to apologize to our customers for the instantaneous
voltage drop that occurred on the 8th of this month in Aichi, Mie, and Gifu
Prefectures. We will work to determine the cause of this phenomenon, and to
ensure that it does not happen again.
We intend to announce the cause and the measures that we put in place to prevent its reoccurrence at a later date.
Initiatives to ensure a stable supply of power
- First, I would now like to discuss our initiatives to ensure a stable supply of power.
- Chubu Electric Power regards the stable supply of high-quality energy at a low cost as one of its most important business management agendas.
- Because our ratio of LNG-fired power generation facilities is high, we have actively promoted the following initiatives:
(1)The introduction of high-efficiency LNG-fired power stations, which are also effective in reducing CO2 emissions
(2)The creation of mechanisms for stable and more flexible fuel procurement, in the area of contracts, etc.
(3)The construction of undersea gas pipelines and the enhancement of our LNG receiving docks and tanks in order to boost our ability to procure fuel and enable more flexible use of fuel
By enhancing our position as a purchaser of fuel, we are working both to realize a stable supply of power and to protect our global environment.
- This year, there have been a number of important developments in regard to these initiatives, including
(1)The formulation of our plan for the development of Nishi-Nagoya Thermal Power Station Group No. 7, which will see us developing a high-efficiency LNG combined cycle generation facility (September)
(2)Our decision to purchase LNG from the Donggi-Senoro project, and to establish a marketing company to sell this LNG to third parties (September)
(3)The completion of the construction of the shield tunnel for the gas pipelines across Ise Bay (October)
- The stable supply of safe and low-cost energy with minimal impact on the environment is the absolute foundation of our business, and we will continue our efforts to fulfill these requirements into the future.
Our initiatives for the protection of the global environment
- Next, I would like to discuss our initiatives for the protection of the global environment.
- As I have already explained, we believe that in advancing our initiatives to ensure a stable supply of power, we must also sufficiently consider the protection of the environment in terms of reducing CO2 emissions.
- As part of our efforts to protect the environment, our Group companies are working as one to actively introduce renewable energies, including solar power and wind power.
- In the area of solar power generation, we are proceeding with the development of three projects: Mega-Solar Taketoyo, Mega-Solar Iida, and Mega-Solar Shimizu. These projects will have a combined output of 16.5 MW.
- In August this year, we commenced the construction of
mega-Solar Iida in Iida City, Nagano Prefecture, and we began installing solar
panels in November.
On the 17th of this month, we concluded an agreement to collaborate with Shizuoka City on the development of Mega-Solar Shimizu. In the future, we will work together with Shizuoka City in advancing the construction and operation of this mega-solar facility.
- Chubu Electric Power operates wind power facilities with the Chubu Electric Power Group companies C-Tech Corporation and AOYAMA KOGEN WIND FARM CO., LTD. The total output from these facilities is 75 MW.
- Of these, the second phase of Wind Park Kasadori, a development being undertaken by C-Tech Corporation in the northern part of the Aoyama Highlands, commenced operation on the 15th of this month.
(Biomass and hydroelectric)
- We have also been proceeding with plans for mixed combustion of woody biomass in the Hekinan Thermal Power Station, and commenced full-fledged operation in September of this year. In addition, we commenced operation of a small-scale hydroelectric facility (output: 240 kW), which utilizes a previously unused drop, in September of this year in Azumino City, Nagano Prefecture.
- Chubu Electric Power will continue to actively strive to develop and introduce renewable energies, working as one with our Group companies in order to contribute to the realization of a low-carbon society.
Promoting nuclear power
- To conclude my remarks today, I would like to discuss our promotion of the use of nuclear power.
- The promotion of the use of nuclear power, a superior power source from the perspectives of both stable power supply and environmental protection, is our most important management agenda, and we are actively working in this area.
(The current status of Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station)
- We have been conducting a study of effects on the seismic safety of Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station Reactor No. 5 based on the experience of the Suruga Bay Earthquake in August last year, and have been holding explanatory meetings with local residents to discuss these studies since the 15th of this month.
- We explained the results of our studies to the city assembly of Omaezaki City, where the power station is located, on the 15th of this month. Today, we will discuss our results with the city assemblies of the neighboring cities of Kakegawa and Kikugawa. We plan to meet with the Makinohara city assembly tomorrow, the 22nd of December.
- Next year, on January 15, these four cities will be holding a meeting at which we can explain our results to local residents. We understand that Shizuoka Prefecture will also be holding an academic conference on disaster prevention and nuclear power in the future.
- In addition, on the day of the meeting to explain the situation to local residents, we will be holding a consultative meeting concerning safety-related and other measures at Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station, at which we will seek to obtain a consensus regarding the recommencement of operation of Reactor No. 5.
- We feel that it is one of our most important tasks as a company to fully explain the present situation to the residents of Omaezaki City, Makinohara City, Kakegawa City, and Kikugawa City, and further to every resident of Shizuoka Prefecture, and to obtain their understanding.
- At present, as we are conducting these explanatory activities, we cannot offer a precise schedule for the recommencement of operation of Reactor No. 5, but we hope that these activities will help us to restart the reactor at least a little sooner than would otherwise be possible.
- Going into the future, we will continue to operate Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station with safety as our highest priority, and we will focus every effort on making it a facility in which local residents can feel confidence.
(Let's Talk More about Nuclear Power)
- As the members of the Electric Power Study Group are aware, Chubu Electric Power is presently involved in activities designed to stimulate more dialogue concerning nuclear power, under the title "Let's Talk More about Nuclear Power."
- Continuing safe plant operation by power utilities is fundamental to the advancement of the use of nuclear power.
- However, safe operation by power utilities is not enough. Our use of nuclear power will be supported by honest opinions from a wide variety of quarters, including the residents of our region, the national and prefectural governments, the administrations and assemblies of the four cities closest to our facility, our customers, our shareholders, the media, and the companies that we work with.
- This is to say that we believe that the use of nuclear power will be advanced step-by-step by the support of society as a whole, when every individual in our society understands this form of power generation. We will continue to strive to move ahead, under the banner "Let's Talk More about Nuclear Power."
- Fully prepared to meet the challenges of a severe business environment, as the President of this company I seek to guide the creation of a corporate culture in which every employee is able to demonstrate their abilities to the fullest, and to make Chubu Electric Power a company that is both flexible and robust.
- That concludes my remarks for today.