Key Point of President's Regular Press Conference
June 2015 Regular Press Conference: Honorary Advisor Mita's Message
June 25, 2015
Chubu Electric Power Co.,Inc.
- I first will discuss our 91st General Meeting of Shareholders.
General Meeting of Shareholders
- I would like to report that the General Meeting of Shareholders was concluded today without incident.
- This year's General Meeting was the seventh-longest in our company's history, lasting 3 hours and 22 minutes. It was also the fifteenth-largest, with 1,334 shareholders in attendance.
- In addition to being provided with a report on Chubu Electric’s business status for fiscal 2014, attendees at the meeting deliberated on a total of eleven resolutions, consisting of three proposed by the company and eight proposed by shareholders.
The three resolutions proposed by the company were accepted by a majority of shareholders.
- We provided thorough answers to shareholders’ questions ranging from the safety and need of Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station, the reprocessing / disposal of spent fuel, other nuclear power generation-related inquiries, and regarding our management efficiency.
- We also received valuable observations from shareholders on future dividends and information disclosure approaches.
- The environment for our electricity business has changed significantly since the Great East Japan Earthquake. Chubu Electric Power continues to face an extremely severe business situation, but will continue in its efforts to provide a stable supply of electricity and work to accurately and flexibly deal with the changing energy market.
- At the same time, we will always seek to earn the trust of our customers, shareholders, and investors and continue to be a company that they turn to, while also contributing to the development of our regional community.
(Reference) Status of the General Meeting of Shareholders
3 hours and 22 minutes
3 hours and 14 minutes
Stepping down as Chairman
(Our mission to deliver a stable supply of safe and affordable energy to our customers)
- Today I have stepped down from my position as Chairman of the Board of Directors, and took over as the Chubu Electric Power’s Honorary Advisor.
- Ever since I was named President in 2006, I set my motto as “tireless self-reform” along with its underlying concept “building up site strength,” to engage in reform initiatives.
- After I took over as Chairman in 2010, I went through a series of difficult situations amid the severe business environment, but Mr. Mizuno and I united efforts to navigate Chubu Electric Power’s management.
- Our mission as an electric utility remains unchanged: to stably supply safe and affordable energy to our customers regardless of the business environment.
- I feel that my determination to serve the “public interest” heightened over the days I served for Chubu Electric Power.
(Itto Shogu Banto Shokoku)
- “Itto Shogu Banto Shokoku” is a particular phrase that I have been reiterating ever since I was appointed President.
- This saying means that “although the amount of brightness that one light can offer is limited, it can provide people with hopes and dreams, and this light will gather and grow to sustain the entire country”.
- I have no doubt that the new management headed by our succeeding Chairman Mizuno and incoming President Katsuno will gain trust from society and make further developments in an effort to enable Chubu Electric Power and Chubu Electric Group serve to society as the “light” that I mentioned.
- As for me, I will continue to serve as Chairman of the Chubu Economic Federation. I will be working, especially in initiatives of groups like this, in the hope of making a difference for the development of the Chubu Region and the Company.
- In closing, I would like to express our gratitude to customers, shareholders, investors, employees, press members and relevant others for all their help and kindness they have bestowed upon me.
- Please continue to advise and support to me as well as the new Chairman and President.
- That is all for me.