Key Point of President's Regular Press Conference
Key Point of President's Regular Press Conference
February 2017 Regular Press Conference : President Katsuno's Message
February 28, 2017
Chubu Electric Power Co.,Inc.
- Today I will be discussing the following three matters:
- Field survey of Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station by the Nuclear Regulation Authority
- Mixed combustion plan of biomass fuel at Taketoyo Thermal Power Station Unit 5
- Record of power demand in the Chubu area this winter
Field survey of Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station by the Nuclear Regulation Authority
- Approximately 3 years have passed since Chubu Electric Power applied for review for checking conformity to New Regulatory Requirements of Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station Unit 4, in February 2014, and the review meeting has been held 76 times so far.
- For review of the plant, each review item has been generally explained, and currently, we are being reviewed jointly with operators owning BWR plants.
- On the other hand, for review of the ground and earthquakes, understanding has been generally gained for approach on “underground structure of the site” and “earthquake between plates”.
- In the review meeting on February 17, our approach on evaluation of site geological features and geological structure was explained.
- As Commissioner Ishiwatari expressed his intention of conducting a field survey of Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station, during said review meeting, we are currently making preparations so that the survey can be conducted in March.
- It will be the second field survey of Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station by a commissioner of the Nuclear Regulation Authority, the last one being the field survey conducted by deputy chairman Fuketa in June 2015.
- In the field survey, we will have faults within the site and in areas around the site observed, and we greatly appreciate having the commissioner visit Hamaoka Nuclear Power Station and observe the site.
- Time will be limited, but we plan to have the power station sufficiently observed and carefully explain evaluation of Chubu Electric Power.
- We will continue to manage reviews by the Nuclear Regulation Authority and will make our best efforts so that conformity to New Regulatory Requirements may be confirmed as early as possible.
- In addition to dealing with New Regulatory Requirements, we will continue our efforts to further improve safety, and carefully explain efforts of Hamaoka to the local community and the public.
Mixed combustion plan of biomass fuel at Taketoyo Thermal Power Station Unit 5
- As it is indicated to “aim for acceptance and utilization of renewable energy which accounts for more than 20% of power demand in the Chubu area, by 2030” in the “Chubu Electric Power Group Management Vision” disclosed in February last year, we are striving to promote introduction of renewable energy.
- It was determined to implement biomass mixed combustion power generation using wood pellets created by compressing sawdust and wood shavings, for part of fuel at Taketoyo Thermal Power Station Unit 5 which is currently being prepared for construction.
- It will be the second mixed combustion of biomass fuel in Chubu Electric Power, following the Hekinan Thermal Power Station which started full-scale operation in September 2010.
- By starting examinations from the design stage, mill and burner specialized for wood biomass can be adopted and operation with high biomass mixed combustion ratio is possible.
- In specific, for about 17% of entire fuel, wood pellet is to be combusted to take the place of coal, and approximately 500,000t of wood pellet is planned to be used per year.
- Projected annual energy production using biomass power generation is approximately 1.2 billion kWh which is largest as biomass energy production in 1 unit among both single combustion and mixed combustion biomass power generation in Japan.
- It is predicted to reduce emission of approximately 900,000t of CO2 compared to power generation using only coal.
- Along with start of operation of Taketoyo Thermal Power Station Unit 5, it is planned to start biomass mixed combustion in March 2022.
- We will steadily advance plans for construction of Taketoyo Thermal Power Station Unit 5 and biomass mixed combustion with understanding and cooperation of the local people and local governments concerned.
- Chubu Electric Power will continue to strive to realize a low-carbon society, with efforts of global warming measures as one of foremost issues of management.
Record of power demand in the Chubu area this winter
- Chubu Electric Power predicted maximum power in the Chubu area this winter to reach 22,570,000kW at maximum for 3-day average and 23,810,000kW at maximum at a single point.
- Actual maximum power from December 2016 to February 27, 2017 was 23,180,000kW at maximum for 3-day average and 23,370,000kw at maximum at a single point, which were both recorded in January.
- This is believed to be because extremely cold air flowed in from mid to late January, temperature was lower than an average year and use of heaters increased.
- We would like to show our gratitude for families, companies, local governments and the local community for helping us stably supply electricity by continuing to save power and energy this winter.
- Chubu Electric Power will continue to engage in maintenance and inspection of facilities so that we may stably deliver electricity to customers.
Curling team as champion in the Japan Curling Championships
- The curling team of Chubu Electric Power became the champion for the 5th time after an interval of 3 years, in the Japan Curling Championships held in Karuizawa.
- We are proud of the young members whose average age was 22, and I as well as many of our employees were cheered up by and moved by them.
- We would like to appreciate the people concerned including the people of Karuizawa Town, Nagano Prefecture who always give warm cheers, and the mass media who largely reported the game result.
- As the champion, we will be playing LS Kitami in the tournament to determine the representative of Japan in the PyeongChang Olympics, to be held in Kitami City, Hokkaido this September.
- I expect the team to come together and play with everything they have, and I hope to cheer them at the tournament if I have time.