Other Press Conferences
Other Press Conferences
September 2010 Federation of Electric Power Companies of Japan Press Conference with Executive Vice-President Matsubara
September 03, 2010
Chubu Electric Power Co.,Inc.
Today, I will be discussing two items:
- The 10th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP10)
- Chubu Electric's initiatives looking towards COP 10
About COP 10
- To begin, I will provide a brief overview of COP 10.
- COP 10 is the tenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity, a convention formulated to protect living creatures and their habitats, and to enable us to enjoy the blessings of nature while passing them on to our descendants.
- COP 10 will be held for 19 days from the 11th to the 29th of October in the Nagoya Congress Center, in Nagoya City's Atsuta Ward, and will feature the participation of approximately 8,000 representatives of governments, the UN, NGOs, and other organizations.
- The main agenda of the conference will be
- Verification of the status of achievement of the 2010 Biodiversity Target, adopted at COP 6 held in the Hague in the Netherlands in 2002, and the setting of a new target
- The formulation of an ABS Protocol dealing with access to genetic resources and the allocation of profits obtained from genetic resources
We can expect both frank and intense discussion of these and other issues at the meeting.
The Chubu region's activities looking towards COP 10
- This will be the first such international event to be held in Nagoya since the 2005 World Exposition, "Exposition of Global Harmony," held in Aichi, Japan, five years ago.
- The Aichi-Nagoya COP 10 CBD Promotion Committee, chaired by the Governor of Aichi Prefecture, was established locally to implement a variety of activities in the lead-up to COP 10. Chiefly made up of representatives of the national and local governments and business organizations, the committee also features the involvement of local citizens.
- The committee is conducting various COP 10-related events, seeking to create a region that coexists with nature and to communicate the appeal of such a region, at the same time as cooperating and conducting exchanges with governments around the world and with NPOs from Japan and overseas.
- Please look at the reference material. The Aichi-Nagoya COP 10 CBD Promotion Committee is organizing exhibitions and other events to publicize the initiatives of national governments, NGOs and NPOs, and companies to protect biodiversity, and to offer opportunities for exchange, in three areas of Nagoya, including the Shirotori district adjacent to the Nagoya Congress Center.
- The committee has also organized the International Children's Conference on Biodiversity in order to instill a concern for environmental issues such as biodiversity in the children who will be responsible for the next generation.
- Regional business groups, including the Chubu Economic Federation and the Nagoya Chamber of Commerce & Industry, are also actively involving themselves in events leading up to the conference.
- The Chubu Economic Federation is planning events including forums and poster displays introducing corporate initiatives and facility visits to introduce the public to advanced technologies.
- The conference itself is just around the corner, and the preparations to welcome guests from around the world to Nagoya are progressing well. The momentum is building for the region to come together as one to offer our guests a wonderful experience.
Chubu Electric's initiatives looking towards COP 10
- As a resident of the Chubu region, Chubu Electric is also seeking to aid the success of COP 10, and is actively involved in cooperative and collaborative activities in addition to introducing visitors to our initiatives for the protection of biodiversity.
- I will provide a brief overview of our COP 10-related activities.
- First, please look at the "Overview of Chubu Electric exhibition in Messe Nagoya 2010" in the reference material. The Nagoya Chamber of Commerce & Industry is organizing an exhibition for different industries called Messe Nagoya 2010 as a COP 10-related event in the large-scale exhibition center Port Messe Nagoya, located in Nagoya's Minato Ward.
- This year’s theme is "environment and energy." Our exhibition will focus on our responses to global warming, in particular through promotion of nuclear power generation and renewable energy power generation, in addition to our initiatives to protect biodiversity. We will also provide visitors with an introduction to technologies that our company has developed.
- We are also conducting commemorative tree-planting events, in an attempt to foster an awareness of the importance of the environment and to promote behavior that is considerate of the environment throughout our society, by offering the opportunity to plant a tree.
- On the 1st of May this year, which we designated "Chubu Electric Environment Day," we presented Nagoya Grampus with commemorative tree-planting certificates.
- In December, with the cooperation of Nagoya Grampus, using those certificates Nagoya Grampus players and supporters will plant trees together with employees of our company.
- By means of these activities, we are maintaining our efforts to enable the people of our region to continue to enjoy the rich blessings of nature into the future.
- With the success of the COP 10 meeting, we have an opportunity to show people from all over the world how Aichi Prefecture has continued to work to resolve environmental issues since the end of Expo 2005.
- Chubu Electric wishes to actively support Aichi Prefecture in this.
- I would also like to ask all of our friends in the media to offer their support to the COP 10 meeting.
That concludes my remarks for today.