Key Point of President's Regular Press Conference
Key Point of President's Regular Press Conference
Regular Press Conference for November 2010
November 24, 2010
Chubu Electric Power Co.,Inc.
Today, I will be discussing two items:
- The status of Chubu Electric's sales activities
- Hosting of "Chuden Ecosession for Elementary School Students 2010"
Status of Chubu Electric's sales activities
- First, I would like to discuss the status of Chubu Electric's sales activities.
- We are conducting "All-Electric Home Campaign Autumn 2010" from October 1 to December 31 this year.
- The target of our sales activities during this campaign is the home renovation market, in which the further spread of all-electric homes is expected.
- Seeking to encourage our customers to go all-electric, in cooperation with manufacturers and sales companies we are conducting events at our customer service offices and other venues and communicating the appeal of safe, comfortable and economical all-electric living.
- One of the features of this campaign is that we are offering a subsidy for customers to replace their existing water heater with an EcoCute water heater. The first 10,000 customers to replace their existing unit with an EcoCute will receive 30,000 yen towards the cost. This campaign represents the first time that Chubu Electric has implemented this type of scheme.
- The campaign has been very well received, and as of November 15, one and a half months since it commenced, we have received applications from approximately 7,200 customers.
- Normally, we conduct one all-electric campaign each year, but this campaign is the second this year, following a large-scale open prize campaign in spring. This is the first time that we have conducted two all-electric campaigns in a single year.
- Our goal is to achieve a cumulative total of more than 600,000 all-electric households by the end of FY2010.
- Reflecting the current economic climate, the number of new houses being constructed remains low, but the number of households that have gone all-electric in our region this fiscal year has exceeded the number for the previous fiscal year. Taking the effect of the All-Electric Home Campaign Autumn 2010 into consideration, we are expecting the numbers to climb further in future.
- As of the end of October, the cumulative total of all-electric households had exceeded 570,000, and it is therefore only a small step to the realization of our sales target of more than 600,000 households by the end of fiscal 2010.
- While the future of the economy is increasingly uncertain and we believe that the sales environment will continue to be severe, we will work as a single entity to realize our target as the culmination of our present four-year target period.
- We opened our e-lifestyle information center "Design Room" in Hoshigaoka, Nagoya City in November 2008 to enhance our contact with our customers and function as a base for our sales activities. On the 22nd of this month, the center marked its second year in operation.
- To celebrate this anniversary, on the 21st of this month we held a Showroom Design Symposium based around the theme "Seeking the Home of the Future." For this event, we called for showroom plans that would enable visitors to experience "the form of future homes" from architecture students throughout the Chubu region, and had young architects offer their impressions in a symposium. Numerous plans that emerged from the creative thinking expected of students were displayed at the event.
- Since its opening, the Design Room has received a large number of visitors, with the total number reaching 350,000 on the 13th of this month. In future, we will be actively working to provide visitors with food- and home-related information through events including cooking events, taking in the provision of dietary information, and exhibitions and seminars concerning housing renovations, in addition to offering our many customers opportunities to discover and experience some advanced examples of the comfortable and environmentally friendly lifestyle that can only be achieved with electricity.
Hosting of "Chuden Ecosession for Elementary School Students 2010"
- Next, I will discuss our hosting of "Chuden Ecosession for Elementary School Students 2010."
- Chubu Electric Power Company considers measures to combat global warming and other environmental preservation issues to be one of our most important management issues.
- In enhancing environmental management, we believe that in addition to using resources effectively and reducing the burden on the environment, it is important to deepen our communication with people both in our region and in the wider world concerning energy and the environment and to ensure their understanding of our efforts in these areas, and to act with them to protect the global environment.
- As one of these "environmental communication" activities, we will be holding the "Chuden Ecosession for Elementary School Students 2010" on December 8 in order to increase the awareness of children, who will lead the next generation concerning energy and the environment.
- The "Chuden Ecosession" was commenced at the time of the Exposition of Global Harmony in July 2005, and this will be the fifth time that we have hosted the event.
- The event, held in Nagoya, will bring together approximately 500 students
from six elementary schools in five Chubu region prefectures to offer presentations
on the results of environmental studies conducted at each school.
Following these presentations, there will be a talk session on the environment, at which the students will be able to exchange opinions with myself and actor and television weather forecaster Yoshizumi Ishihara.
- This year, I will be participating in the event for the first time. I am told that in previous years the children have come up with truly innovative ideas that would not have occurred to us adults, and I am greatly looking forward to the event.
- I would be delighted if you would join us at this event that brings together elementary school students with hopes and dreams for the future of the planet. I hope to see you there.
- That concludes my remarks for today.